He laughed at me.
He listened to the radio.
I looked at him.
I worked on the computer.
:stickjo4:

ابو بيشو
15-06-2016, 03:59 PM
Passive voice of intransitive verbs
Intransitive verbs have no objects, so they can not be used in passive voice, but I have seen many people using intransitive verbs in passive voice sentences. I am much confused how is it possible. The words "listen", "laugh", "work" and "look" etc. are intransitive verbs, but why are they used in passive sentences with preposition "to", "at" and "on" etc.? He laughed at me [I was laughed at by him] I worked on the computer [The computer was worked on by me] I listened to him [He was listened to by me] I looked at him [He was looked at by me]
The important point which I want to ask is that; When intransitive verbs are used with prepositions (laugh at, listen to, work on etc...), are they considered as transitive verbs?

3 Answers
This is not as complicated as it seems.
What you are looking at here is called a Prepositional Passive (PP or P-passive), which is sometimes referred to as a pseudo-passive. In this form, the complement of a preposition is realised as the subject of a passivised verb, as in your examples.
In
He laughed at me ~ I was laughed at (by him)
The complement of the preposition phrase at me becomes the subject I - which is why it changes - of the passivised verb (was) laughed.

A verb may have both a transitive and an intransitive function, depending on how it is used. Furthermore, transitive verbs and verbs with verb phrase complements may be conjugated in the passive voice.
When intransitive verbs are used with prepositions (laugh at, listen to, work on etc...), are they considered as transitive verbs?
To answer your question, yes sometimes but this is not why they are considered transitive verbs.
A prepositional verb consists of a transitive verb plus a preposition with which it is closely associated. A verb phrase complement completes the meaning of a verb or a verb phrase.
In each of the examples you have presented, a verb is used with a prepositional phrase as a verb phrase complement. Additionally, as you see in the following example, the word 'laughed' is used as a transitive verb together with the preposition 'at' to form the prepositional verb 'laughed at'. The object is 'me'. Also, the verb 'laughed' is completed by the verb phrase complement 'at me'.
He laughed at me.
At whom did he laugh? the object = me / verb phrase complement = at me
Alternatively,
I was laughed at by him
The conjugated verb here is 'was laughed at' and the verb phrase complement is 'by him'.
Who was laughed at by him? original object = I

I've just been posing and grappling with a similar question myself. Here is the best answer I've come up with…
In a sentence with an intransitive verb, and therefore no direct object, English is willing to regard the object of a prepositional phrase to the verb as the 'patient', or receiver of the verb's action (as moderated by the preposition). This can be shown by the fact that the 'patient' becomes the subject of a passive construction.
"Squatters lived in that house." "That house was lived in by squatters." The house is the patient, and receives the action 'lived in'.
Sometimes this practice doesn't work. "Sam struck in the heat of the moment." "The heat of the moment was struck in by Sam." But my contention would be that this is just massively clunky, an abuse of a metaphor, rather than ungrammatical. There's simply nothing useful achieved by the construction, it is stretched and absurd (but not ungrammatical).
To my mind, this practice of treating the object of a preposition as the 'patient' blurs and calls into question three distinctions:
1. Between direct object and object of a preposition.
2. Between transitive and intransitive verbs.
3. Between 'phrasal verbs' and any other combination of verb/preposition.
To state it one more time: in "The students lived in the house" the house receives the action (is the patient), 'lived in' is the complete verb and is transitive. Therefore, we can change it to "The house was lived in by the students." OR just "The house was lived in."
I think this means that all verb/preposition combinations are teetering on the edge of being phrasal verbs, which is why phrasal verbs are so common. It's just that some tip over into metaphor, and take on a life of their own.
After all, if I say "He shot down the plane", is 'shot down' really metaphoric, or is it easy to understand from its constituents? I think it's somewhere in between. But it is definitely a phrasal verb because you couldn't say "He shot bullets down the plane". "Down the plane" is not a prepositional phrase here. 'Shot down' is a transitive phrasal verb. But then, I would say so is 'lived in' or 'died in'. Where you draw the line is largely arbitrary.

الاستاذ خالد زلط
15-06-2016, 11:01 PM
مشكور علي هذه الجهد الطيب وجزاك الله خيرا.

ابو بيشو
18-07-2016, 06:28 PM
اليك منى كل احترام وتقدير