اهلا وسهلا بك فى بوابة الثانوية العامة ... سجل الان

العودة   بوابة الثانوية العامة المصرية > المنتدى التخصصى للمعلمين > المنتدى االأكاديمى للمعلمين > حجرة معلمى اللغات

حجرة معلمى اللغات الانجليزية - الفرنسية - الألمانية - الايطالية

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
قديم 17-07-2016, 11:58 PM
ابو بيشو ابو بيشو غير متواجد حالياً
مــٌــعلــم

تاريخ التسجيل: May 2009
المشاركات: 6,126
معدل تقييم المستوى: 22
ابو بيشو is on a distinguished road
افتراضي

In current usage, these two are used interchangeably. There is no difference. See LDOCE.

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 17-07-2016, 11:59 PM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

In the Prep 3 novel "Journey to the Centre of the Earth," why is the title of the novel "Journey..." and not "A Journey..."?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
In titles of books we often use a special type of language called block language. We also use block language in other discourse functions such as labels, titles, newspaper headlines, headings, notices, and advertisements. These messages are usually not sentences but consist of a noun, noun phrase, or nominal clause. We rarely need verbs and words that have low-information value, such as the articles, so these are often omitted. Not all book titles omit the article, but it is commonly done.
You can read more about block language in A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language (Quirk et al.) pages 845 and about the language of headlines in Practical English Usage (Michael Swan) pages 211ff.
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 18-07-2016, 12:01 AM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

Prep 3. I noticed some differences between the following sentences concerning the position of "neither … nor". Please clarify these points. Prep 3. SB Unit 17 page 42, Ex. 7: (a) Pam saw neither people nor cars. Practice test 1, Q6: (4) I saw neither Ali nor his brother. / I neither saw Ali nor his brother. WB Unit 17, page 27, Ex. 5: (b) Ahmad has visited neither India nor China.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>

The answer for the practice test item should be revised. Neither and nor should go before the elements they are modifying.
I didn't see Ali and and didn't see his brother.
I saw neither Ali nor his brother.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
Ali didn't write and he didn't phone.
Ali neither wrote nor phoned.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Bach wasn't French and Beethoven wasn't French.
Neither Bach nor Beethoven was French.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>

Prep 3. I noticed some differences between the following sentences concerning the position of "not only ... but also" Could you please clarify these points? Unit 16, WB page 23, Ex 2: (b) Carl Kunth didn't only study animals, but he also studied plants. (c) Paul Von Wurttemburg didn't go only to Sudan, but he also went to Egypt. (d) The English travellers weren't only crossing deserts, but they were also crossing jungles. But in Practice Test 2, Q6: (1) The English travellers were crossing not only deserts, but also jungles.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>

The answer in the TG should be revised. As it was taught in the book, an acceptable answer is The English travellers were not only crossing deserts, but they were also crossing jungles.
However, it actually is more common to make the answer as in the TG: The English travellers were crossing not only deserts, but also jungles.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>
In this case, not only and but also can go immediately before the words they modify. They can also go in mid-position with the verb (generally without do) if the verb is the word to be modified.

The English travellers ate ***hri. The Italian travellers ate ***hri too.
Not only the English travellers but also the Italian travellers ate ***hri.
Not only the English travellers but also the Italian ones ate ***hri.
Not only the English travellers ate ***hri but also the Italian travellers.
Not only the English travellers ate ***hri but also the Italian ones.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The Russian travellers ate ***hri. They also ate kufta.
The Russian travellers ate not only ***hri but also kufta.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The Swedish travellers ate ***hri. They also took it home.
The Swedish travellers not only ate ***hri but also took it home.
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 18-07-2016, 12:05 AM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

Let’s face it, English can be a confusing language at times. There are a lot of confusing words in English, words that are separated by just one or two letters. Or words that sound exactly alike when you say them out loud but have completely different meanings.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>
That is why I have created this list of commonly confused words with detailed explanations on all of their uses and differences. I have done my best to make my explanations in everyday English, so that anyone and everyone reading these posts will be able to easily understand.
The English language is full of confusing words that mix up writers. Words that are spelled alike, sound alike, have similar meanings, etc.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
In today’s post, I want to talk about anymore vs. any more.
What is the Difference Between Anymore and Any more?
The traditional (although now less common) spelling is as two separate words: any more. In the last 50 years or so, the single word anymore has increased in use and a distinction between the one-word and two-word spellings has emerged.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>
In this post, I will talk about the traditional uses of any more vs. anymore and use example sentences to demonstrate each of their meanings. I will outline the newly formed distinction between the two and give you a tip to remember the difference.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Any more as a Determiner
What does any more mean? When any more is used to mean an indefinite quantity of something or even the smallest amount, it is functioning as a determiner. For example,
• Do you want any more food?
• Is there any more pie left?
• I can’t eat any more food; I am completely stuffed.
• I don’t want any more trouble.
• Forcing people to wait until 67 to collect wouldn’t save taxpayers any more money than the 30 percent cut to the benefit at age 62 does. –The New York Times
Any more is only used in questions and negative statements describing the quantity of something. The two-word spelling is near universal when this meaning is implied.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
There are other contexts, too, where the words must be kept separate. For instance,
• You can’t play basketball any more than I can fly an airplane.
If the two words were together in the above example, the meaning would change and the sentence would be confusing. It wouldn’t be clear whether you are saying that you can no longer play basketball or you are making a comparison between abilities.
Another example is when more modifies a following adjective, any must be a separate word.
• It doesn’t get any more exciting than overtime in the finals!
Anymore as an Adverb
What does anymore mean? Whenanymore is used to mean to any further extent; any longer, it is functioning as an adverb. For example,
• I don’t go sailing anymore.
• There is nothing for me here—not anymore.
• The price of gasoline isn’t cheap anymore.
Anymore, as an adverb, should only find itself in negative constructions.
You should not use it in an affirmative context to mean nowadays. In certain parts of the United States, it is occasionally used this way.
• The price of gasoline is outrageous anymore. [read: the price of gasoline is outrageous nowadays.]
This use is certain to confuse your readers—even those in the United States—and is widely rejected. You should avoid this use in your writing.
Anymore vs. Any more: Helpful Distinctions
In American English and other forms of English outside the U.K., there is a useful distinction that separates any more vs. anymore.
Any more (two words) is reserved for the meaning even the smallest amount. In other words, when used as a determiner, the two-word spelling any more is used.
• I don’t want any more children.
Anymore (one word) is reserved for the meaning any longer. In other words, when used as an adverb, the one-word spelling anymore is used.
• You’re not a little kid anymore.
I, personally, find this distinction to be quite helpful, and most American writers and publishing houses observe it.
In British English, it is still quite common to see any more (two words) as an adverb in print. This is beginning to change, however, as some British writers and publishing houses opt to observe the distinction between the one-word and two-word spellings.
Trick to Remember the Difference
Still not sure when to use anymore or any more? Here’s a helpful mnemonic to remember the difference.
I don’t buy shoes anymore because I don’t need any more shoes.
This is a great sentence that demonstrates the uses of anymore and any more. When you are using the word to mean any longer, think the one-word anymore.
When you are talking about numbers and quantities, think the two-word spelling any more.
Summary
Is it any more or anymore? This depends on its function within the sentence. In American English,
Any more is used as a determiner.
Anymore is used as an adverb.
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 18-07-2016, 12:06 AM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

Peter and John blamed themselves for the loss. (Peter blamed himself and John blamed himself.)
Peter and John blamed each other for the loss. (Peter blamed John and John blamed Peter.)
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 18-07-2016, 12:07 AM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

You have no idea, (…):
هنا عزيزى have فعل اساسى وليس فعل مساعد لذا يكون الفعل المساعد do
You have no idea, do you?
You haven't got any idea, have you?
نستخدم noلننفى الاسم ونستخدم not لننفى الفعل
I have no idea.=I don't have any idea.
The general principle is that when the main clause is positive, the question tag is negative. You have no idea is made negative by the presence of no. It follows that the tag will be: do you?
In general "do you" since the first part of the sentence is negative (contains "no").
هنا عزيزى have فعل اساسى وليس فعل مساعد لذا يكون الفعل المساعد do
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 18-07-2016, 12:08 AM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

: What is dirty after washing?

A: Your bath water.
Q: What has two legs but cannot walk?

A: A pair of trousers.
Q: How can somebody walk for 8 days without sleeping?

A: He sleeps only at night.
Q: You had 20 men build your house in two months. How long would it take 10 men to build the very same house?

A: Zero seconds. The house was already built by the 20 men.

Q: Maybe I can hear everything but you'll never hear me say a word. Who am I?

A: Your ear.
Q: When you take 2 out of 3 apples away, how many apples do you have?

A: The 2 apples you’ve taken with you.
Q: A man goes out in heavy rain with nothing to protect him from it. His hair doesn’t get wet. How does he do that?

A: He is bald.
Q: On Thursday, a man went for a horseback trip on Friday and returned two days later on Saturday. How is that possible?
-
A: The horse’s name was Friday.

Q: What spends all the time on the floor but never gets dirty?

A: Your shadow.
Q: What is the longest word in the English language?
-
A: Smiles. There’s a whole mile between the two Ss.

Q: In what glasses shouldn’t you pour apple juice?

A: The already full ones.
Q: A doctor gave you 3 pills that you have to take every half hour. How long does it take you to use them all?

A: One hour. You took the first one immediately.
: Is it legal to marry the sister of your widow?

A: Doesn’t matter. You are dead anyways.
A: Who earns money without working a single day?

Q: The night watchman.

Q: What goes swimming with you but never gets wet?

A: Your shadow.
Q: You have a basket with 20 apples. You have 20 hungry children. Every child should get an apple but one apple should remain in the basket. How do you do that?

A: You give 19 children one apple each and to the last one you give the basket containing the last apple.
Q: Who eats a lot of iron without getting sick?

A: The rust.
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 18-07-2016, 12:10 AM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

What’s the difference between “if” and “in case”
It is important not to confuse “if” and “in case”. They can be used in similar sentences, but they have different meanings. Consider the following examples:
 I will take a coat if it rains.
 I will take a coat in case it rains.
Here, “if” is used to present a conditional situation (dependent it raining), while “in case” is a precaution (done to prepare for the rain).
“In case” is usually used to show that an action is being taken, or preparations have been made, as a precaution – so the action or event is completed based on a possibility.
 I have bought extra porridge in case we need more.
 He was expecting a delivery, so he stayed at home in case it arrived.
“If”, as a conditional, shows an action or event that is dependent on something else happening. The action will not happen unless the if clause happens.
 I will go to the play if I have some spare time.
 She will receive a reward if she passes her exam.
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 18-07-2016, 12:12 AM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

Using “if” and “in case”
For sentences where it seems that both can apply, “if” and “in case” can therefore refer to completing actions at different times – “in case” actions are done in advance, while “if” actions only occur on a condition. Consider these examples:
 Call me if you need any help.
 Call me in case you need any help.
The first sentence tells you to call only when you need help, the second sentence tells you to call before you need help (and in this case may be to check whether or not you need help).
 We’ll proofread the report in case there are mistakes.
 We’ll proofread the report if there are mistakes.
The first sentence here says it will be done anyway, to find mistakes, but the “if” sentence tells us there will be no proofreading unless a mistake is found first.
Sometimes the difference can be subtle, such as when a precaution is already in place but will only be relevant if a condition occurs.
 She can give you advice, in case you need help.
 She can give you advice, if you need help.
The first sentence emphasises that she is prepared to give advice, as a precaution, while the second sentence shows she will give advice if it is needed. The two sentences are very similar, but have grammatically different meanings.

In case
We use in case to talk about taking precautions, doing something because something else might happen:
• During the drought, keep the bath filled with water - just in case it is needed.
• I've bought some candles in case there are more electricity cuts.
• In case I forget, remind me to check the tyre pressure before we load up the car.
In case or if?
When we use in case we are mostly describing future possible situations. When we use if we are talking about conditions that apply. Compare the following and note the differences in meaning.
• I'll fill up the car with petrol in case you need to go to Brighton. ( = I'll fill up now, because you might need it later.)
• I'll fill up the car with petrol if you need to go to Brighton. ( = Let me know if you need to go to Brighton and then I'll fill up with petrol.)
• Take the mobile phone with you in case the car breaks down.
If the car breaks down, give me a ring.
in case of
Note that in case of is a prepositional phrase used with a nounwhich is similar in meaning to an if-clause. Compare the following:
• In case of fire, exit from the building by the stairs. Do not attempt to use the lift.
• If there is a fire, leave the building via the stairs. Don't try to use the lift.
• In cases of difficulty, phone this help line.
If you experience any problems, phone this help line.

If you would like more practice more please visit our Message Board in the You, Me and Us part of our website.
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 18-07-2016, 12:14 AM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

I do try to make my son do his homework, but he refuses to cooperate.
I did think you were going to speak to him about it.
I do hope he’ll try harder this year.
In each example, do is used to add emphasis to the main verb, that is, to make the expression or feeling stronger. In these examples, do functions as an emphatic auxiliary. And I just want to mention here that the auxiliary do cannot be combined with any other auxiliary – that is, we can’t say
I must do try to make my son do his homework.
although we could say
I must try to make my son do his homework.
You mention do used with believe, Hossein; can you see how it adds emphasis in the following examples?
I do believe we’ve met somewhere before.
I do think Chinese is a difficult language to learn.
I do feel that Jordan’s is the best restaurant in town.
I do hope she’ll be happier in the new house.
In all of these examples, do is used to reinforce the strength of claim and show certainty. But there’s another usage of do as an emphatic auxiliary. Sometimes we can use do to contradict or show contrast and here are some more examples:
I did call on him yesterday morning, although he said he didn’t hear the doorbell.
The office staff said my fax was late, but I did send it on time.
My daughter is so naughty at home, but her teacher says she does study hard at school.
In each of these examples, do shows the contrast between the expected and real outcome in each situation, and in speech, an emphatic do would usually be stressed. Well, Hossein, I do hope that this explanation has been useful to you!
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 18-07-2016, 12:15 AM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

(1) It's hot in here.
(2) It's hot here.
In sentence (1), here is a noun (meaning "the present pla
ce or juncture"). You would say It's hot in here if you're talking about an enclosed place such as a room, tent, or building. In sentence (2), here is an adverb. You would sayIt's hot here if you're talking about an open place such as a garden, city, or country.
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 18-07-2016, 12:25 AM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

The passive voice
Correct these sentences: *My camera made in japan. *you must do what you told to do.
My camera was made in Japan.
You must do what you are told to do. OR You must do what you were told to do. (The context will determine the verb tense.)
The passive voice needs a form of the verb BE plus the past participle of the main verb. We hope this helps you!
………………………………………………
Why did you write "Our lungs fill with air" while I think it should be "Our lungs are filled with air" as it is a passive voice
Can you tell me what page you’re referring to? I can’t find the context.

“Our lungs fill with air” and “Our lungs are filled with air” are both grammatically correct. The lungs, like other body organs, can be agents; that is, they can do actions. So the lungs fill with air, the stomach digests food (we don’t have to say “food is digested in the stomach”), and the brain stores memories.

We can use either an active or a passive verb with lungs. If you can give me the page and exercise number, I can give you a better answer why the active verb is used.
………………………………………………
Please, which one is correct? If water boils , it evaporates. If water is boiled, it evaporates. Accept my apology for repeating the same question but in another way.
Glad to help you.
Both of these are grammatically correct, but the meaning is a little different. In the first, water is the agent (the one doing the action). This would usually be used for scientific facts such as "Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius."
In the second, there is an agent doing something to make the water boil. The action is more important than the agent, so the passive voice is used.
Your previous question was about "If you boil water..." which is a less formal way of wpeaking about someone boiling water.
………………………………………………
People said that Sally stole the mobile phone.(passive) Sally is said to steal / have stolen the mobile phone. Are they both correct?
No, they're not the same. The first sentence is in the past, so the passiv voice must also be in the past.
"Sally is said to have stolen the mobile phone" is correct because it is in the past.
"Sally is said to steal mobile phones" (note the plural) would mean that people think Sally steals mobile phones.
…………………………………………….
What is the difference between (be) covered in & (be) covered with?
The Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English provides an answer.

When cover means “hide or protect,” use with:
She covered the child with a blanket.
He covered his face with his hands.
The dictionary also gives an example with the preposition by: She wore a ... dress partly covered by a thin shawl.

When cover means “form a layer on a surface,” use either with or in:

The eruption of the volcano covered the town with/in fine ash.
So the preposition to use with the passive (as in your question) depends on the meaning of the word cover in the sentence.
…………………………………………….
I’d like you to take me to the cinema. (be)
Where is this sentence from? I assume you mean to make this passive: I’d like to be taken to the cinema by you.

But I don’t think anyone would actually say such a sentence. There’s no reason for it to be passive — other than as a grammar exercise.
……………………………………………..
I don't mind attending the meeting. Rewrite using "attended". I think the answer will be "I don't mind the meeting being attended."
I don't mind the meeting being attended is grammatical but it is not the same meaning. The original sentence means “I don’t mind that I attend the meeting.” The rewrite that you suggest means “I don’t mind that someone (unidentified) attends the meeting.” You would not use the passive construction to speak about yourself attending the meeting. The passive is used when you don’t know who is doing something.
………………………………………………
This sentence was placed in the 3rd year secondary examination 18/6/2009: Who are you going to invite your birthday party? (be invited)
I assume that you have mistyped this. The original sentence should be Who are you going to invite to your birthday party?

The passive would then be Who is going to be invited to your birthday party?

………………………………………
Find the mistake. It is exciting to see a heart transplant operation doing.
You need the passive for the verb doing. It is exciting to see a heart transplant operation being done.
………………………………………….
In Sec 2 SB, page 107, Ex 1: "He went back to Harvard to be trained as a doctor." Do you think the active form should be "He went back to Harvard to train him as a doctor" rather than "He went back to Harvard where he trained as a doctor" as in TG page 295? Because I think "He went back to Harvard where he trained as a doctor" is active. "He went back to Harvard where he was trained as a doctor" is passive.
The TG is correct: "where he trained as a doctor."
Train is an unusual verb because it can mean both to teach and to learn. He trained as a doctor (active) means he learned, that is, others trained him. He was trained as a doctor (passive) means that others taught him.
…………………………………………….
"Large international corporations, like Japanese car companies, can set up in almost any location." Sec 2 SB page 43. Could it be "Large international corporations, like Japanese car companies, can be set up in almost any location"?
Yes and no. Set up can be transitive or intransitive. So the verb could be made passive (can be set up) but why would you want to here? The rest of the sentence — [can] employ local workers … and trade — would be very awkward. Large international corporations can set up means that they can start operating.
There is no reason to make the sentence you ask about passive. We use the passive when we want to emphasize the action rather than the agent, or when we don’t know the agent. In the sentence you ask about, there is a clear subject that is important to mention.
……………………………………………..
He ... alone now as he wants to sleep. (must leave - must be left)
The answer must be passive here.
He must be left alone now as he wants to sleep.
If you want an active verb, you have to supply a subject for the verb.
You must leave him alone now as he wants to sleep.
………………………………………………
رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

العلامات المرجعية

ضوابط المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا يمكنك اضافة مرفقات
لا يمكنك تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML معطلة

الانتقال السريع

جميع الأوقات بتوقيت GMT +2. الساعة الآن 06:31 PM.