اهلا وسهلا بك فى بوابة الثانوية العامة ... سجل الان

العودة   بوابة الثانوية العامة المصرية > المنتدى التخصصى للمعلمين > المنتدى االأكاديمى للمعلمين > حجرة معلمى اللغات

حجرة معلمى اللغات الانجليزية - الفرنسية - الألمانية - الايطالية

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
قديم 15-07-2016, 10:24 PM
ابو بيشو ابو بيشو غير متواجد حالياً
مــٌــعلــم

تاريخ التسجيل: May 2009
المشاركات: 6,125
معدل تقييم المستوى: 22
ابو بيشو is on a distinguished road
افتراضي كنوز ضائعة :

هذه ملفات كتبتها منذ سنوات ولكن كان مكانها الارشيف
ربما يتساءل البعض مادام للاساتذه لماذا لم يوضع فى حجره اللغه الانجليزيه ؟والاجابه لان القليل يدخل الى حجره اللغه الانجليزيه
اليكم حضراتى مفاجات خاصه بقواعد اللغه الانجليزيه
ذكر فى A practical English Grammar الاتى :
فى صفحه 35
يمكن ان نقول :a little old lady
ولكن لا يمكننا قول : a little young lady
بمعنى ان :يمكن استخدام a little مع old ولا يمكن استخدامها مع young

.................................................. ..................................................
يمكن ا ن نقول :a young ambitious man
وكذلك :an ambitious young man
.................................................. ......................................

هل يمكن استخدام الماضى التام المستمر فى الحاله الشرطيه الثالثه؟
نعم
I was wearing a seat belt. If I hadn't been wearing one, I'd have been seriously injured.
.................................................. .................................................. ..
هل يمكن استخدام would have +verb+ing فى حاله If الثالثه ؟
نعم
At the time of the accident ,I was sitting in the back of the car, because Tom's little boy was sitting beside him in front.
If Tom's boy had not been there , I would have been sitting in front.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................
هل يمكننا ان نستخدم : If you would
نعم
يستخدم هذا النعبير كاسلوب طلب بصيغه مهذبه
If you would fill up this form.
If you would wait a moment , I'll see if Mr. Janes is free.
.................................................. .................................................. ........
كلنا نستخدم If I were a doctor , I'd يمكن حذف If ونقدم were
Were I a doctor
واذا لم نجد were نستخدم to+infinitive
If I visited America
تصبح :Were I to visit America
ولكن السؤال :هل يمكننا استخدام were to دون حذف If?
نعم
ذكر فى نفس الكتاب الاتى :
If he resigned =If he were to resign
If I succeeded = If I were to succeed

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 15-07-2016, 10:26 PM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

ما هى الجمله التى اذا قيلت فى الصباح تكون صحيحه وتكون خطا اذا قيلت بعد الظهر او المساء

لا تعجب عزيزى من هذا العنوان فاللغه الانجليزيه هى لغة العجائب
I have written two letters this morning.
اذا قيلت هذه الجمله فى الصباح فهى صحيحه تماما حسب استخدام المضارع التام
اما اذا قيلت بعد انتهاء فترة الصباح فهى خطا لانه فى الظهر او المساء او اى فترة غير الصباح اصبحت ماضى لذا يجب ان نقول
I wrote two letters this morning.وقس على هذاthis afternoon/this evening
المرجع
A Comprehensive English Grammar
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 15-07-2016, 10:28 PM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

15-02-2012, 05:55 AM

•The flowers were the most beautifully arranged creations I've ever seen.
لان arranged فعل يحتاج الى adverb
شكرا لك عزيزى مستر12 wewe

creation

noun

1 [uncountable] the act of creating something creation of
the creation of a single European currency
a job creation scheme

2 [countable] something that has been created:
The dress is a stunning creation in green, gold, and white.
Most countries have systems of government that are relatively modern creations.

واذا كانت كلمة creation اسم يعد :تعنى الكائنات جملة-شئ مخلوق -اثر ينم عن عبقرية مبدعة
creations of artists
creations of the Paris dressmakers
المرجع المورد
longman dictionary
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 15-07-2016, 10:29 PM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

ملحوظة عن aren't I?
6-I am a good teacher, aren't I?
aren't I ?mostly informal :Grammatically correct :would be "am I not?"This is only used in formal situations.
ولكن الشائع والمستحب :Aren't I?
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 15-07-2016, 10:30 PM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

قواعد
What are the correct answers? (1) Each one of them is absent, ......? (isn't he?) or (aren't they) (2) The infant is very hungry, .....? (isn't he?) or (isn't it?)
Sender
Hisham
Position
Student

These are very good questions, but I hope nothing like them shows up on exams. The first, in particular, is among the types of questions that professional editors love to argue about.

These answers are based on The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language and the corpus-based Longman Grammar of Spoken and Written English.

Each one is syntactically singular and would usually take a singular pronoun in a tag question. Thus, if the sentence were
Each one of the boys is absent, isn’t he? or Each one of the apples is rotten, isn’t it? there would be no problem of agreement.

A problem arises because in modern English there is a strong tendency to avoid what is seen as ***ist language. Many people no longer see he as a gender-neutral pronoun.

The pronoun they has been used with a singular meaning since Middle English and is commonly used this way in informal language. However, many people still avoid such use in formal language.

Tag questions are more common in informal language than formal, so therefore, if I had to choose between these two, I would choose the second one:Each one of them is absent, aren’t they?

But in real life I don’t think I would say such a sentence to begin with. I would be more likely to say They’re all absent, aren’t they? and thus avoid the whole issue of agreement.

In the second sentence, the word infant belongs to a small group of words referring to a human that often take it when the *** of the person is unknown. (Baby, child, and fetus are also in this group.) Therefore, if I had to choose in an exercise or a test, I would answer The infant is very hungry, isn’t it?

In real life I would probably go up to the parent and say Why don’t you feed the kid?

ed 19/04/10

Choose
If I (see - will see - would see) the numbers on paper, it is easier to add them. Choose the answer. Please
Sender
2la23emad
Position
Student

The answer is see. If I see the numbers on paper, it is easier to add them.
This is a zero conditional, talking about something that does happen. In this sentence you could write When I see the numbers… and it would have the same meaning.

When the result clause (it is easier to add them) is in the present, the if clause takes the present.

ed 19/04/10
Correct
Can you explain more about the difference between "must" and "have to"? (Sec 2 unit 16)
Sender
Confused
Position
Student

There have been a lot of questions from Secondary 2 teachers about the modal verb must and the semi-modals have to and need to. Sometimes these can be used interchangeably and sometimes there is a difference. If you are writing exercises and exams, keep these points in mind:
• In MCQs, write items so that only one choice is grammatically correct, OR
• Give students enough context so they can choose the correct answer.
• In other types of questions, when more than one answer is possible, allow for that in your answer key.
See the questions and answers in the grammar section of this website for examples of the above.

We are talking here about must used to show obligation or necessity or to give orders or strong advice. We are not talking here about must used to show certainty in a logical conclusion.

In Preparatory 3 and Secondary 1 grammar, must and have to were treated as equal in meaning in the affirmative. The emphasis in those years was on the difference in meaning in the negative. In Secondary 2 grammar, the emphasis is on the differences between must and have to and need to. But if you look back at the textbooks and tapescripts from Prep 3 and Sec 1, you will see that the rule is followed, though it is not stated.

Also note that these differences mainly apply to British English. If you read or hear American English, you will find that must is less often used, and this distinction is rarely found.

Again, in meaning must and have to are largely interchangeable. But there is sometimes a difference in where the obligation comes from.

Have to often refers to an external authority -- a regulation or order -- or circumstances that make something obligatory. In other words, as the Sec 2 SB states (page 102), when we cannot choose whether or not to do something.

My children have to study ancient history at school next year. (a school requirement)
My staff and I have to work twelve hours a day. (circumstances)
We have to be back in Cairo on Friday in time for our flight. (circumstances; our scheduled flight)

But laws and rules themselves are usually written with must.

In the first person, must is often used to express the speaker’s authority over himself. It is the speaker’s strong feelings or wishes that make him that feel something is obligatory. In other words, as the Sec 2 SB states (page 102), to express strong feelings or wishes. This "internal obligation" can only be in the first person in statements (subject I or we), or in the second person (subject you) in questions.

We must buy souvenirs for our friends. (my opinion or feelings)
We mustn’t forget that tourism is very important for Egypt. (my opinion)

Must is also used to give strong advice and orders to ourselves or others, and to give emphatic invitations.

You must clean your room before you go out with your friends. (an order.)
You must come visit us sometime soon. (an invitation)

In the negative, mustn’t and don’t have to are not interchangeable. Mustn’t means that something is forbidden. Don’t have to means that it is not necessary.

Have to and need to are often interchangeable to say that something is necessary. However, need to is more often used in the negative.

See exercises for unit 16 grammar.

References:
Alexander, L. G. Longman English Grammar. (London: Longman, 1988)
Murphy, Raymond. English Grammar in Use, 2nd ed. (Cambridge: Cambridge Uniersity Press, 1994)
Swan, Michael. Practical English Usage, 3rd ed. (Oxford; Oxford University Press, 2005)

ed 03/05/10
Explain
In unit three and practice test (2) sentence N.(3) you used "by cash". I've checked Cambridge Online Dictionary and Oxford Dictionary and Longman Online Dictionary and I didn't find that they use "by cash". Please explain that. Thanks in advance.
Sender
h
Position
Teacher

Dictionaries report what is most common. But that doesn't mean that other prepositions are necessarily wrong. By cash is used, especially when followed by or credit card or when both payment systems are being discussed in the same passage. Please see the answer here.
الملفات المرفقة
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 15-07-2016, 10:31 PM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

didn't we?ولا didn't they?................
هل هناك فرق فىالجملتين ؟نعم الاولى تعنى ان المتكلم واحد من الذين جاءوا :معظمنا جاءوا وانا واحدمن الذين جاءوا
اما الثانيه تعنى ان المتكلم لم يكن منالذين جاءوا: معظمنا جاءوا ولكن انا لست واحد من الذين جاءوا

تخيل حضرتك فى المدرسه جاءتلجنه وحضرتك لم تكن موجود وعند السؤال ماذا تقول معظمنا كان فى المدرسه لكن حضرتكمش موجود فتقول مش هم جاءوا ولكن ان كنت موجود تقول معظمنا جاء و ا انا واحد مناللى جاءوا
تخيل حضرتك كان فيه حفله ومعظم البيت راح نقول معظمنا راح وانت رحتولا لا قد تكون ذهبت وقد تكون لا
اذا ذهبت يكون الفاعل we اذا لم تذهب يكونالفاعل they لانهم هم الذين ذهبوا
شكرا لحضرتك
27-12-2010, 01:33 AM
knightlove.seddik
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 15-07-2016, 10:34 PM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

اقدم لحضراتكم اسئلة هامة لك معلم تم مناقشتها على موقع Longman
ما صيغة النفى من had better -would rather ?
The negatives are made with not at the end: had better not, would rather not.
.................................................. ...............................................
Why do we say:“Are you any good at painting”? (Sec 1 WB, page 9, Ex. 3)
Here, any is an adverb that means “to any extent, in any degree, at all”. When we ask if someone is any good, we are asking if they are even a little bit good. If we want to know if someone really is good, we ask simply “Are you good at ...?”
Sec 3, Unit 13, SB page 82. “These days women have as good an education as men.” Why does the indefinite article “an” come after the adjective here? ”?

. This is a very common structure in English: as (adjective) a/an (noun) as. Here it means that women have an education that is as good as men’s education.
Jane wore as beautiful a dress as any I’ve ever seen.
Henry made as delicious a pie as Sue did.
Sec 2, Unit 6. how to make the comparative and superlative form of the adjectives which end with "ly" like friendly, silly, lovely, kindly, motherly,etc.

For many two-syllable adjectives, both the -er/-est form and the more/mostform are possible. For some two-syllable adjectives, only the more/most form is possible. Check a good dictionary to be sure.
For two-syllable adjectives that end in y preceded by a consonant, to make the -er/-est form we change the y to i and add the -er or -est ending. For example,tidy - tidier - tidiest. This rule works for the followng adjectives, and perhaps others. Check a dictionary:

tidy, busy, dirty, dry, early, easy, empty, funny, pretty, happy, heavy, ready, sleepy, ugly (also more/most ugly); also for opposites beginning withun- : untidy, unhappy, uneasy

However, the comparative/superlative of shy is shyer - shyest.

LDOCE does not give a comparative form of motherly, and I think it would be unusual to compare this adjective. I would use more motherly.

Kindly is old-fashioned. I would use kind - kinder - kindest. LDOCE does not give comparative/superlative forms, but Merriam-Webster Third New International Unabridged gives the comparative/superlative as -er/-est. (The yshould change to
Yes, this is grammatical. Many two-syllable adjectives can form the comparative and superlative with either -er, -est or with more, most. In fact, the comparative/superlative with more, most is becoming more common.
See Comparatives and superlatives in the Archives for more.
On a plane, was written : “Fasten your seat belt while seated.” What is the grammatical rule of “while seated”?

I don’t fully understand what you mean by a grammatical rule. This sentence is short for Fasten your seat belt while you are seated. Signs and headlines often use a style, called block language, that excludes pronouns, the verb be, articles, etc. You can read about block language and about abbreviated sentences in instructional writing in Quirk et al, A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language, pp 845-848.

Do we say "many" or "much" foods?

Food, like many other words, has both countable and uncountable uses.
When you have the plural foods, you use the determiner many. The plural foodsmeans different things to eat, different kinds of foods.

Many processed foods have too much salt in them.
Some traditional Egyptian foods are fava beans (ful), falafel, and molokhia.

When you have the singular food, you use the determiner much. This means that you have a large quantity of food, whether one type or more than one type.

There was a lot of food served at the wedding.
I like to eat Japanese food.
We have to go shopping. There's not much food in the house.
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 15-07-2016, 10:35 PM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

uestion tags
Whether Sam likes it or not, Janet should telephone David again,.................?
That Jane is a genius is obvious to everyone, ...................................?
I believe that a good education makes a big difference in life,......................?
The company , which employed many workers and made different kinds of products ,went out of business ,..........................................?
The cost of the three typewriters and the four clocks will be raised ,....................?

4 - didn't it
5 - won't it
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 15-07-2016, 10:39 PM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي المصارع التام

ملاحظات هامة جداااااااااااااااااااااااااااااااااااا
The present perfect
What is the exact use of present perfect simple tense?
We most often use the present perfect to talk about something that started in the past and continues to the present time. Note the difference in meaning in these two sentences:

- She lived in Cairo for ten years. (She used to live there but she doesn’t live there any more.)

- She has lived in Alexandria for ten years. (She started to live there ten years ago. She still lives there.)

In a similar way, we can use the past perfect with time expressions such as today, this morning, this year only if that period of time has not finished. For example:

- I’ve had three cups of tea this morning. (It is still morning and maybe I’ll have more tea before the morning is finished.)

But in the evening I have to use the past simple:
- I had three cups of tea this morning.

Another example:
- I’ve travelled 10,000 miles this year. (The year is not finished. Maybe I’ll travel more.)
- I travelled 10,000 miles this year. (I don’t expect to travel any more this year.)
- I travelled 10,000 miles last year. (Last year has finished, so I use the past simple.)

It is important to note that we cannot use the present perfect with an expression of time or a particular day — unless, as above, that period of time has not finished.

We often use the present perfect to ask if someone has ever done something in their life. We can only do this for people who are still living because their life continues — remember that the present perfect is for things that continue to the present.

So, we can ask about someone still living this way:
- Has your father ever visited France?

But if the person is dead, we have to use the past simple:
- Did your great-grandfather ever visit France?

We sometimes use the present perfect to talk abut something new that happened in the recent past. News reports often use the present perfect this way:

- Two trains have collided in Germany. (This is something new and happened recently.)
- Two other trains crashed last month. (The past simple is used for something in the more distant past.)

We can also use the present perfect to talk about something that happened at an indefinite time in the past, or that was repeated in the past (and the time is not important.)

- They have moved to another country. (When they moved is not stated.)
- I have told you many times to wash your dishes after you eat. (Something was repeated in the past.)
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ………….
………The grammar review based on unit 4 states that one of the usages of the present perfect tense is to show actions which began in the past and are still continuing. We as professionals can understand the tendency of this usage, but can't this cause confusion to the students when they are taught the present perfect continuous?
……………………………………………………………………………………………
English — or any other language — can sometimes be confusing for learners. And although native speakers can use the present perfect and present perfect continuous correctly, most of them would have a hard time explaining the difference between them.

Both the present perfect (PP) and the present perfect continuous (PPC) are used to talk about things that began in the past and continue to the present. The difference could perhaps be thought of in terms of what the verb forms focus on.

The PP focuses more on the time frame, while the PPC focuses more on the action itself and the fact that it is continuing. Also, the PP can have slightly different meaning depending on the context.

Look at this sentence: I have lived in Cairo.
Taken by itself, it would indicate that the time frame (my life) is continuing. So I could add to that I have also lived in Paris and London.
If I add a time phrase, it is clear that I am talking about an action that continues to the present: I have lived in Cairo for six years. (My living there started six years ago and continues to now.)

Using PPC focuses on the continuity of the action itself: I have been living in Cairo (for six years).

Murphy, in his English Grammar in Use, uses the following examples to show the difference in these verb forms:

- Someone is painting a ceiling. She is in the middle of the job. She has been painting the ceiling.

- Someone has just finished painting a ceiling. She has painted the ceiling.

This is a difficult point in grammar, but these two verb forms do convey real differences in meaning, so anyone who wants to master English must learn them. Remind your students to read often in English so that they can learn "by osmosis" — unconsciously learning the language as they see it in use.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
The number who applied for the job (is - has been) 50.
I see no reason to use the present perfect here. I would choose is.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
"He says that he had dreamed of climbing the mountain since he was a toddler." (Secondary 2, unit 6) Is this sentence correct?
Yes, it is correct and it is an example of very natural language. The first verb is in the present (1) because the present is commonly used in journalism to report what is said in an interview or (2) because Omar says this whenever you ask him about his climbing. The second verb is in the past perfect because he is talking about something that happened in the past before his climb. The present perfect (He says that he has dreamed of climbing...) would not work here because the climb has already taken place. Thus the past perfect is used.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Sec 2, unit 3 tapescript: "He's often told me to look on the internet because things are often less expensive online." Why does this use the present perfect tense? Could you explain it in detail please?
The present perfect can be used for something that happened at an indefinite time in the past, or for something that started in the past and continues to the present. Here I understand the speaker to mean that his father told him this (repeatedly) at some unspecified time in the past, and perhaps he is implying that he expects his father will continue to repeat the advice.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ……..
Correct: I have finished my work at 8 o'clock last night.
I finished my work at 8 o’clock last night. You can use the present perfect for an unspecified time in the past. Since both last night and 8 o’clock specify the time, you have to use the simple past here
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… .
What is the difference between (1) I went to Mexico last year. (2) I have been to Mexico in the last year.
This question was also submitted as a comment in response to another question (click here to see it) regarding the simple past and present perfect. The question as formulated above actually contains two elements that might be questioned: the difference between went and have been, and the difference between last year and in the last year.
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->
So I am assuming that the real question is about the difference between last year and in the last year and why one takes the simple past and the other does not, so I will answer about these sentences below:

(A) I went to Mexico last year.
( I have gone to Mexico in the last year.
In (A), the time period referred to is specific — 2008 (I am writing on 22 September 2009) — and also completed. It is conceived of as a point in time.
In (, the time period is not specific. The time is any time in the last 12 months — from 23 September 2008 until 22 September 2009 — and in a sense it’s not completed until one year has passed. The time is conceived of as a span. I may have traveled on 30 January of 2009. That’s still in the last year, i.e., within the last 12 months, and I can continue saying “in the last year” up until 29 January 2010.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …
They decided to get married last week although they ... each other for only five months. (have known - had known - know - would know)
The knowing took place before the decision, so the past perfect should be used: had known. That is how I would answer it in the absence of any more context.
However, a native speaker might use the present perfect if they know that the decision was made but the marriage didn’t take place yet (as if the sentence were “They’re going to get married although they have known each other for only five months”). So it’s possible that you would hear such a construction from someone.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …..
Is it wrong to say: "When have you come?" Must I say: "When did you come?"
Generally, yes, it is wrong to say When have you come? I can think of one or two contexts in which a native speaker might use the present perfect here, but 99.9999% of the time you must say When did you come?
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …..
Sec 2 SB page 14, item a:4 "People have used many different things for money in the past, for example salt, coins, bank notes and plastic cards." Why is the present perfect used here, not the past simple?
This will be corrected in the next printing. The sentence should say People have used many different things for money, for example salt, coins, bank notes and plastic cards.
Without the phrase in the past, the present perfect is used because people still exist and still use different things for money.
………………………………………………………………………………….
Is it correct if I say "I have lived in Cairo since four years ago" or we can't use "ago" with the present perfect tense?…
It is possible to say I have lived in Cairo since four years ago. The understanding here is that the beginning of the period was four years ago. Remember that we use since to talk about the beginning of a period.
However, this structure is rather rare, and it might not be recognized as correct on an exam. I think it would be better to avoid it and to say I have lived in Cairo for four years.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …
I have been studying English ………… the last two hours. a) in b) since c) for d) during. I think the answer could be "in", "during" and "for". "Since" here is the only wrong item. All the other three items are possible answers in my view. What's your comment?
…………………………………………………………………………………..
For is the correct answer here.
We use in to indicate something that happened within that period, and we would not likely use it with the present perfect proressive as here. For example, The phone rang five times in the last two hours.
We use during to state the period of time that something happens or changes. We use for to state the period of time that something is happening (or we are doing something, as in the sentence in your question).
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ……
Find the mistake: It has rained all day yesterday. Can the answer be: It has been raining all day yesterday.
No, that's not the correct answer. When you use the present perfect, you can't use a specific time. Yesterday is a specific time. You have to use the past simple: It rained all day yesterday.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
In the tapescript, Sec 2 TG page 318 review F, you wrote "It's years since we've been to England." Why did you use the present perfect after "since"? We teach students that we use the past simple in the clause that comes after "since". Please explain. Also what does the apostrophe "'s" in "it's" refer to? Is it "is" or "has".
Since does not have to be followed by the simple past. In a sentence such as It’s a long time/years since … , it is very natural to use the present perfect if the action is repeatable. The simple past is also possible.
(a) It’s years since we’ve been to England.
(b) It’s years since we were in England.

Both sentences speak of repeatable actions. Sentence (a) implies that the speaker was in England more than once in the past. Sentence (b) implies that the speaker was there only once in the past.

When the action is not repeatable, the simple past is used.

(c) It’s ten years since we cut down the elm tree.

The present perfect is also often used when the verb has duration.

(d) It’s ten years since we’ve known John.

In these sentences It’s means It is. If the sentences were It’s been years, It’s would mean It has.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ….
Sec 2 WB, Review E, page 91, sentence 8: If you had put the water in the freezer,it......to ice. a-turned b-turns c-would turn d-would have turned Isn't it a fact and the two verbs must be in the present?
It is a fact that water freezes when you put it in the freezer, and the two verbs should be in the present if you intend to make a simple statement of fact. But here the speaker is using the third conditional to talk to someone who didn’t put the water in the freezer. This might be spoken, for example, by a parent or teacher of a young child who wants to teach them about water freezing. Conditional statements such as this can also be used to teach facts. Or it might be spoken, for example, by someone who is complaining that someone didn't put the water in the freezer (If you had, we'd have ice by now), or someone who is happy that the other person didn't put the water in the freezer.
The EFL student must recognize that if the if-clause has a past perfect, then the result clause will have a modal plus past perfect.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ……………..
I know how to drive. I ... to drive. a)have learnt b)learnt c)had learnt d)will learn I think present perfect is for actions that happened in the past without determination of when they took place exactly. Is that right?
Yes, so the answer here is (a) have learnt.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Find the mistakes, then write them correctly: "If she wasn't so shy, she would have got the job." Is it right to correct it as: "If she isn't so shy, she would have got the job"? My teacher thinks it would be right like that, as being shy is a part of her character so the verb should be used in the present. Thanks in advance.
Usually when the conclusion clause has a modal with the present perfect (would have got), the if-clause has the past perfect.
If she hadn't worn jeans to the interview, she would have got the job.
Is shyness part of her character, or was she shy only at the interview (perhaps from nervousness)? If you think it's part of her character, a permanent feature, the subjunctive could be used: If she weren't so shy… We use the subjunctive because we're talking about something that is not reality.

If you think she was shy only at the interview, the past perfect is the correct choice. Note that there is nothing in the sentence to indicate which case it is, and on an exam it would be better to write the usual past perfect.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ………
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 15-07-2016, 10:54 PM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

neither......nor

not one or the other of two people or things [↪ either]: 'Would you like tea or coffee?' 'Neither, thanks.'
It was a game in which neither team deserved to win.
neither of Neither of them can cook.
Thompson had two strategies, neither of which seems to have worked very well.

We asked both John and Jerry, but neither one could offer a satisfactory explanation.
➔ see usage note none1
WORD CHOICE: WORD CHOICE:

none, neitherUse none to talk about a group of three or more things or people • None of my friends came.To talk about two things or people, use neither • Neither of my parents wanted me to marry him.GRAMMARnone of can be followed by a plural noun or an uncountable noun • None of these diets worked. • None of the money was missing.neither of is followed by a plural noun • Neither of the rooms was free.After the plural noun, you can use a plural or singular verb. You should use a singular verb in formal writing • None of us care OR cares what happens to him. • None of us is able to escape the consequences of our actions.!! Do not use another negative word (eg 'not') with none • We got 3 points and they got none (NOT they didn't get none). • I didn't want any of them (NOT I didn't want none of them). ➔ See also none

neither

3 conjunction

neither3

1 neither ... nor ...

used when mentioning two things that are not true or possible: Neither Oleg's mother nor his father spoke English.
The equipment is neither accurate nor safe.
! Do not say 'neither ...or ...'. Say not ...or ... or neither ...nor ...: We don't know or care where he is. | Neither he nor his wife eats meat.

2 be neither here nor there

spoken used to say that something is not important because it does not affect a fact or situation [= irrelevant]: The fact that she needed the money for her children is neither here nor there - it's still stealing.

3 be neither one thing nor the other

spoken used to say that something or someone cannot be described as either one of two types of thing or person, but is somewhere in the middle of the two: The New York Times is neither one thing nor the other. It's not really a city newspaper and it's not really a national newspaper either.

4 formal used to add another negative statement about someone or something [= nor]: The authorities were not sympathetic to the students' demands, neither would they tolerate any disruption.
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 15-07-2016, 10:55 PM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

been in = been living or staying in:
'I've been in Paris since the beginning of June.'
'How long has Wendy been in hospital?'

been to = gone to and come back from; visited :
'I've been to Paris three times.'
'I've been to the hospital to see Wendy
۩
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 17-07-2016, 11:50 PM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

Conditional clauses with will or would
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>
Will and would can be used in conditional clauses, either with the meaning of ‘being willing to do something’, or to refer to later results:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>
If Clare will meet us at the airport, it will save us a lot of time. (if Clare is willing to meet us)
If you would all stop shouting, I will try and explain the situation!
If it will make you happy, I’ll stay at home tonight. (If it is true that you will be happy as a result, I’ll stay at home tonight.)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>
We sometimes stress the will or would, especially if we doubt that the result will be the one mentioned:
If it really would save the planet, I’d stop using my car tomorrow. (If it really is true that the planet would be saved as a result, I would stop using my car, but I doubt it is true.)
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 17-07-2016, 11:54 PM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

How can I make comparisons with these adjectives: "right", "dead", "wrong" and so on?

In short, you can't. These are non-gradable or non-comparable adjectives. In most usages, you either are or are not right, dead, or wrong. Other such adjectives are alive, pregnant, daily, medical, perfect, extinct.
Most non-gradable adjectives can sometimes be compared.Dead is sometimes used as a comparative in the idiomatic phrase deader than a door nail (or dead as a door nail). In a complex moral or ethics issue that has no clear-cut answer, one might say that one position is more right or more wrong than another, without saying that one position is (absolutely) right or wrong. Informally, we can say that a woman who is 8 months pregnant is more pregnant than one who is 3 weeks pregnant, but in more formal usage pregnant is a non-gradable adjective.
05-01-2012, 01:36 PM
ابو بيشو
مــٌــعلــم تاريخ التسجيل: May 2009
المشاركات: 5,903
معدل تقييم المستوى: 13
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 17-07-2016, 11:55 PM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

This question is too general because but has different functions. It is usually a conjunction but it can also be a preposition, as in this sentence:
I saw everyone but John at the party.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
And as a conjunction, but can join words, phrases, or clauses.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
I like apples but not bananas.
Jack washed the dishes but left them for Jill to dry.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>
When but is used to join independent clauses (sentences), we usually use a comma at the end of the first clause. However, if the two clauses are short and closely related, the comma is optional. In modern usage, it is preferred to omit the comma in this case.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
Hilary grabbed her books and rushed to the door, but she caught her foot on the carpet and tripped. (long clauses; comma is needed)
Our team is strong but theirs is weak. (short, closely related clauses; comma optional but preferred omitted)
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 17-07-2016, 11:57 PM
مــٌــعلــم

افتراضي

Is the word “goods” countable or uncountable? Do I say “how many goods” or “how much goods”? The same question with the word “clothes”.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ...
Both of these words are a bit unusual. They are plural in form and take plural verbs, we say “how many goods” or “how many clothes”, but they are considered uncountable. We answer in the form of items or quantities. We don’t say “I have three clothes” or “the factory produces 4,000 goods.” We give a number with a name of the goods or we give a quantity in weight, cartons, or another measure.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>
How many goods does this factory produce?
It produces 500 kilos of nails each day.
It produces 200 pairs of jeans a day.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
How many clothes are you taking on your trip?
Just one suit and two shirts.
Three suitcases full. Do you think that’s too many?
رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

العلامات المرجعية

ضوابط المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا يمكنك اضافة مرفقات
لا يمكنك تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML معطلة

الانتقال السريع

جميع الأوقات بتوقيت GMT +2. الساعة الآن 01:23 AM.