قديم 15-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Ahmed Alkusayer Ahmed Alkusayer غير متواجد حالياً
موجه اللغة الإنجليزية

تاريخ التسجيل: Feb 2010
المشاركات: 62
معدل تقييم المستوى: 15
Ahmed Alkusayer is on a distinguished road
Opp will be or would have been from the native speakers prospective

I had a discussion with some of my facebook friends about will be and would have been and I wanted to share it with you

Ahmed Alkusayer
To my friends whose native language is English, please answer this question and say why if it is possible.
3- Mona promised that she............................home tomorrow.
a) be b) would have been c) will have been d) will be
o
 Kathryn Enright all future tense......will be home tomorrow is the answer !!
Lisa J Power will be home tomorrow. B and C put the past and future tenses together and be by itself is just grammatically incorrect
Ahmed Alkusayer The problem is that the model answer has be) would have been because of the presence of promiosed
Kathryn Enright promised in the past.....will be home tomorrow is the future tense...I can see that is complicated !!..tricky !!
Kathryn Enright very tricky teaching English !!!!..complicated !!
32 minutes ago • Like
Ahmed Alkusayer so what do you think?
29 minutes ago • Like
Lisa DeVane The answer is will be home tomorrow because it implies the future and has not happened yet!
Lisa DeVane but if you want to use slang then be could be appropriate LOL
Lisa DeVane lol and in case that was hard to understand I didn't me the letter b but the word be she be home tomorrow ...LOL just being funny
Lisa DeVane LOL I know they don't teach slang its something people aquire ha ha
Ahmed Alkusayer I don't think the one who wrote the sentence knows slang English We study formal English all our life
Ahmed Alkusayer Lisa* Don't forget that we watch American movies more than Arabic movies lol
Lisa DeVane LOL oh well then you should know lots of slang LOL
Lisa DeVane we could say that using the word be in that sentence would be Ebonics as we joke!!
Kathryn Enright lol..answer is still...d/ will be home tomorrow ..the promised .. is just confusing you..the ... will be.... is attached to the home tomorrow !!
Ahmed Alkusayer The model answer is b) would have been. Some students as well as my daughter chose d) will be and she was so positive about it
Kathryn Enright ie..she promised yesterday ..that she will be home tomorrow.. I can see why there is such a heated debate !! it makes common sense to English people ..and no one else !!
Lisa DeVane well I say your daughter is right about it ....if the answer was would have been ....it would be past tense ...but tomorrow has not happened yet!
Kathryn Enright wow..well done to your daughter...!! ..but what would u answer.....so that means the model answer/book is wrong !! tricky !!..be interesting to see what it is marked.....the same as our daughter learning French..when she got to France ..she found it was different to the book..lol
Kathryn Enright hope the Examiner knows better .....because those marks will be important..be assured that your daughter is smart..and has a great grasp of English..well done !!
Ahmed Alkusayer You are right Kathryn but when I saw the test I know how the examiner thinks so I knew that the model answer would be " would have been" but I was sure that a lot of students will choose " will be" because of tomorrow as they know that it should be changed into " the following day" and you right what we teach to our students is different from the native English

العلامات المرجعية

الكلمات الدلالية (Tags)
english, exam

ضوابط المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا يمكنك اضافة مرفقات
لا يمكنك تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML معطلة

الانتقال السريع

جميع الأوقات بتوقيت GMT +2. الساعة الآن 02:46 AM.