مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : forming passive sentences

ابو بيشو
19-06-2016, 07:46 PM
F o r m i n g p a s s i v e s e n t e n c e s
\ A Passive verb forms have one of the tenses of the verb to be and a past participle. Passive verb
forms are summarised in Appendix 1.
Verbs which take an object (transitive verbs) can have a passive form. So we can make
corresponding passive sentences for:
• They destroyed the building. ≪—• The building was destroyed.
• The news surprised me. ≪—• I was surprised by the news.
Verbs which do not take an object (intransitive verbs) do not have passive forms. For example,
there are no passive forms for the following sentences:
• I slept for nearly ten hours last night.
• The ship slowly disappeared from view.
A good dictionary will tell you whether verbs are transitive or intransitive.
However, many verbs can be used at different times with and without objects - that is, they can
be both transitive and intransitive. Compare:
• Are they meeting him at the station? (transitive) Is he being met at the airport? (passive)
• When shall we meet? (intransitive; no passive possible)
В Verbs that can be followed by either object + object or object + prepositional object in active
clauses (see Unit 42) can have two corresponding passive forms. The passive form you choose
depends on which is more appropriate in a particular context. Compare:
active
• She handed me the plate. /
• She handed the plate to me. /
passive
• I was handed the plate. /
• The plate was handed to me. /
Other verbs like this include give, lend, offer, promise, sell, teach, tell, throw. However,
verbs that can't be followed by object + object in the active have only one of these
passive forms:
He described me the situation.
He described the situation to me.
• I was described the situation.
• The situation was described to me.
≫Other verbs like this include demonstrate, explain, introduce, mention, report, suggest.
We can make a passive form of transitive two- and three-word verbs (see Unit 114). Compare:
• Martha talked me into buying a motorbike. (= V + object + preposition) and
• I was talked into buying a motorbike by Martha.
• They gave over the whole programme to a report from Bosnia. (= V + adverb + object +
preposition) and
• The whole programme was given over to a report from Bosnia.
Some transitive two- and three-word verbs are rarely used in the passive:
• We got the money back for her, but it took ages, (rather than The money was got back...)
• I had to put out a hand to steady myself, (rather than A hand was put out...)
Other verbs like this include get down (= write what somebody says), let in (= when something
has a hole in it that allows water, light, etc. to get into it), let out (e.g. a scream), show off (=
encourage people to see something because you are proud of it), take after (= resemble).
Verbs with and without objects = Two- and three-word verbs => I Passive verb forms =
U s i n g p a s s i v e s
The choice between an active and passive sentence allows us to present the same information in
two different orders. Compare:
active • The storm damaged the roof.
This sentence is about the storm, and
says what it did. [The storm is the
'agent'.)
passive • The roof was damaged by the storm.
This sentence is about the roof, and says what
happened to it. (The 'agent' goes in a
prepositional phrase with by after the verb.)
D Here are some situations where we typically choose a passive rather than an active.
• When the agent is not known, is 'people in general', is unimportant, or is obvious, we prefer
passives. In an active sentence we need to include the agent as subject; using a passive allows us
to omit the agent by leaving out the prepositional phrase with by:
О • My office was broken into when I was on holiday, (unknown agent)
• • An order form can be found on page 2. (agent = people in general)
• These boxes should be handled with care, (unimportant agent)
• She is being treated in hospital, (obvious agent; presumably 'doctors')
• In factual writing, particularly in describing procedures or processes, we often wish to omit the
agent, and use passives:
• Nuclear waste will still be radioactive even after 20,000 years, so it must be disposed of
very carefully. It can be stored as a liquid in stainless-steel containers which are encased in
concrete. The most dangerous nuclear waste can be turned into glass. It is planned to store
this glass in deep underground mines.
• In spoken English we often use a subject such as people, somebody, they, we, or you even when
we do not know who the agent is. In formal English, particularly writing, we often prefer to
use a passive. Compare:
• They're installing the new computer system next month.
• The new computer system is being installed next month, (more formal)
Notice also that some verbs have corresponding nouns. These nouns can be used as the subject
of passive sentences, with a new passive verb introduced:
• The installation of the new computer system will be completed by next month.
• In English we usually prefer to put old information at the beginning of a sentence (or clause)
and new information at the end. Choosing the passive often allows us to do this. Compare
these two texts and notice where the old information (in italics) and new information (in bold)
is placed in the second sentence of each. The second text uses a passive:
• The three machines tested for the report contained different types of safety valve. The Boron
Group in Germany manufactured the machines.
• The three machines tested for the report contained different types of safety valve. The
machines were manufactured by the Boron Group in Germany.
• It is often more natural to put agents (subjects) which consist of long expressions at the end of
a sentence. Using the passive allows us to do this. So, for example:
• I was surprised by Don's decision to give up his job and move to Sydney.
is more natural than 'Don's decision to give up his job and move to Sydney surprised me.'
Forming passive sentences: Passive verb forms =
EXERCISES
30.1 Rewrite these sentences. Instead of using 'people', 'somebody', or 'they', write a passive sentence
with an appropriate verb form. (A & B)
1 Somebody introduced me to Dr Felix last year. I was introduced to Dr Felix last year.
2 People are destroying large areas of forest every day.
3 Somebody has bought the land next to our house.
4 Somebody had already reported the accident before I phoned.
5 I hope they will have completed all the marking by tomorrow.
6 People were using the tennis court, so we couldn't play.
7 Somebody will tell you when you should go in to see the doctor.
8 They should have finished the hotel by the time you arrive.
9 No doubt somebody will blame me for the problem.
10 People expect better results soon.
11 They have found an unexploded bomb in Herbert Square, and they are evacuating the area.
30.2 Here is the beginning of a report of an experiment.
V e r b + - i n g o r t o - i n f i n i t i v e : p a s s i v e f o r m s
Active patterns with verb + -ing
active pattern: Verb + -ing + object
• I enjoyed taking the children to the zoo.
passive
The children enjoyed being taken to the zoo.
Other verbs in this pattern include avoid, consider, delay, deny, describe, imagine, remember,
resent. (Notice that the verbs in this group do not have corresponding meanings in active and
passive sentences. See also В below.)
active pattern: Verb + object + -ing
• They saw him climbing over the fence.
passive
• He was seen climbing over the fence.
Other verbs in this pattern include bring, catch, hear, find, keep, notice, send, show. Passives with
these verbs and the verbs in the group above are only possible when the subject and object of the
active and the subject of the passive are people.
Some verbs followed by an object+ -ing in the active have no passive:
• I appreciated you coming to see me. (but not You were appreciated...)
I Other verbs like this include anticipate, dislike, dread, forget, hate, imagine, like, (not) mind,
• ' ≪recall, remember.
D Active patterns with verb + to-infinitive
active pattern: Verb + to infinitive + object
• His colleagues started to respect Tim.
passive
• Tim started to be respected (by his colleagues).
Other verbs in this pattern include appear, begin, come, continue, seem, tend; also agree, aim,
attempt, hope, refuse, struggle, try. The verbs in the first group (and start) have corresponding
meanings in active and passive sentences, but the verbs in the second group do not. Compare:
• People came to recognise her as the leading violinist of her generation, (active) corresponds
to • She came to be recognised as the leading violinist of her generation, (passive)
• The team captain hoped to select Kevin, (active) does not correspond to • Kevin hoped to
be selected by the team captain, (passive)
active pattern: Verb + object + to infinitive
• Mr Price taught Peter to sing.
passive
• Peter was taught to sing (by Mr Price).
Other verbs in this pattern include advise, allow, ask, believe, consider, expect, feel, instruct,
mean, order, report, require, tell, understand.
Notice that in some contexts it is possible to make both verbs passive:
• Changes to the taxation system are expected to be proposed.
• She was required to be interviewed.
a Some verbs followed by an object + to-infinitive in the active have no passive:
• • Susan liked Tom to be there, (but not Tom was liked to be there.)
Other verbs like this include (can't) bear, hate, love, need, prefer, want, wish.
R e p o r t i n g w i t h p a s s i v e v e r b s
We often use a passive to report what people say, think, etc., particularly if we want to avoid
mentioning who said or thought what we are reporting:
• People in the area have been told that they should stay indoors.
• Everyone was asked to bring some food to the party.
A common way of reporting what is said by people in general or by an unspecified group of
people is to use it + passive verb + that-clause (see Units 44 and 45 for more on that-clauses):
• It is reported that the finance minister is to resign.
• It has been acknowledged that under funding is part of the problem.
• It can be seen that prices rose sharply in September.
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Other verbs that can be used in this pattern include agree, allege, announce, assume, calculate,
claim, consider, decide, declare, discover, estimate, expect, feel, find, know, mention, propose,
recommend, say, show, suggest, suppose, think, understand.
≪Notice that many other verbs are not used in this pattern, including inform, persuade, reassure,
•remind, tell, warn.
With the verbs agree, decide, forbid, hope, plan, and propose, we can use it + passive verb + to infinitive
(notice that some of these are also used in the pattern it + passive verb + thatclause):
• It was agreed to postpone the meeting.
• It has been decided to build a road around the village.
В ^n a l t e r n a t : i v e t o it + passive verb + that-clause is to use subject + passive verb + to-infinitive:
• It was expected that the damage would be extensive, or
• The damage was expected to be extensive.
• It had been thought that the chemicals convey important information to the brain, or
• The chemicals had been thought to convey important information to the brain.
≪Most of the verbs listed in the box in A can also be used in this pattern except for agree,
• announce, decide, mention, propose, recommend, suggest.
We can only use tell in this pattern when it means 'order'. So we can say:
• I was told (= ordered) to go with them to the railway station.
but not 'The accident was told (= said) to have happened just after midnight'.
When a thatclause begins that + there..., we can make a passive form there + passive verb + to
be. Compare:
• It is thought (that) there are too many obstacles to peace, or
• There are thought to be too many obstacles to peace.
• In 1981 it was reported (that) there were only two experts on the disease in the country, or
• In 1981 there were reported to be only two experts on the disease in the country.
• It was alleged (that) there had been a fight, or
• There was alleged to have been a fight.,
We can use the same verbs in this pattern as with subject + passive verb + to-infinitive (see B).

ابو بيشو
18-07-2016, 06:20 PM
Why do you need this book?
Use:What