اهلا وسهلا بك فى بوابة الثانوية العامة ... سجل الان

العودة   بوابة الثانوية العامة المصرية > المنتدى التخصصى للمعلمين > المنتدى االأكاديمى للمعلمين > حجرة معلمى اللغات

حجرة معلمى اللغات الانجليزية - الفرنسية - الألمانية - الايطالية

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
قديم 20-01-2009, 08:57 PM
الصورة الرمزية medo1960
medo1960 medo1960 غير متواجد حالياً
عضو نشيط

تاريخ التسجيل: Apr 2008
المشاركات: 225
معدل تقييم المستوى: 17
medo1960 is on a distinguished road
Exll cliches and idioms

Cliches & Idioms
Cliche definition:
A cliche is a common phrase that has been overused. In general, cliches are to be avoided. In reality, they are not avoided - that's why they are cliches! Understanding popular cliches is especially important for English learners because they provide a deeper understanding of set phrases - or 'chunks' of language. These chunks of language known as cliches are found everywhere: in letters, in films, in articles, in conversation. A good rule of thumb for English learners is to understand a variety of popular cliches, but not necessarily use them actively. Many times the use of a cliche signals fluency, but often cliches are considered inappropriate or unoriginal. On the other hand, if English learners use cliches it's OK, because they are only joining all the native speakers who already use the cliche too frequently!
What's the Difference Between an Idiom and a Cliche?
An idiom is a phrase that means something else than the literal words. Idioms always have figurative, not literal meanings. Here are some examples:
to get under someone's skin (to bother someone) - She's getting under my skin these days!
no spring chicken (not young) - Tom's no spring chicken. He's almost 70!
A cliche is a phase which is considered overused (used too often) which can be literal or figurative in meaning. Here are some examples:
the good old days (literal = in the past when things were better) - I remember my years at college. Yes, those were the good old days.
tip of the iceberg (figurative = only the beginning, or just a small percentage) - The problems we are seeing
10 Popular Cliches
The writing on the wall = something that is about to happen, something that is obvious
Example:
Can't you see the writing on the wall! You need to get out of that business.
To pull an all-nighter = to study or work all night
Example:
We had to pull an all-nighter to get the work finished on time.
Pearls of wisdom = wise words or advice
Example:
I'm not really interested in his pearls of wisdom. He lived in a different period.
Too much of a good thing = generally used when saying that's impossible to be too happy, or lucky
Example:
Enjoy it! You can't have too much of a good thing.
Fit as a fiddle = to be ready and able
Example:
I'm fit as a fiddle. Let's do this thing!
Curiosity killed the cat = Don't be too inquisitive, it can be dangerous!
Example:
Remember curiosity killed the cat. You should just forget about it.
Don't do as I do, do as I say. = Used when someone points out that you are being hypocritical (doing one thing while insisting that others that thing differently)
Example:
Stop talking back! Don't do as I do, do as I say!
Let sleeping dogs lie = don't look into (investigate) something that was troublesome in the past, but in which people are not currently interested
Example:
I'd let sleeping dogs lie and not re-open the investigation into the crime.
A cat has nine lives = someone might be having problems now, but they are many chances to do well or succeed
Example:
His career reminds that a cat has nine lives!
Moment of truth = the moment in which something important will be shown or decided
Example:
It's the moment of truth. Either we'll get the contract or we won't.
Collected By :
Mahmoud Hassanin Ali Saad
Meet El-Nahaal Prep/Sec. Azhar Institute
Mansoura Zone

رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

العلامات المرجعية

ضوابط المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا يمكنك اضافة مرفقات
لا يمكنك تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML معطلة

الانتقال السريع

جميع الأوقات بتوقيت GMT +2. الساعة الآن 08:29 PM.